Friday, February 19, 2016

Critical Reflection Strategies from Dr. Z: Part 3

by Pam Reese

The third and final strategy I learned from Dr. Z. is the easiest to implement. He uses what he calls “RLM” for reflective learning moment. He will sometimes use this during tests or after showing a video clip. Although, wait, on the surface it seems easiest-just call out “RLM”! But on reflection, it may be more difficult.

How to teach what “RLM” means? As I imagine asking it after certain video clips or lecture statements my mind says, “RLM”, (pause) Why----? Should why always follow an RLM? Probably not. The challenge will come in recognizing, or even setting up RLMs for the students.

I use quite a bit of video in many of my classes. Clips from the master clinician website in CSD 449, clips from a DVD of a dozen different therapy methods for speech sound disorders in CSD 321 and documentaries of people with communication disorders in CSD 115. In each class, I feel I want the students to “think more” and “analyze” these clips. I’ve tried asking for “reflections” and making test questions that asked them to evaluate the clips.  For example, in CSD 115 I showed Sound and Fury a documentary about a family of mixed hearing and deaf members who must face a decision about cochlear implantation. It is the best movie I have seen that gives the point of view of deaf adults about cochlear implants, which is very different from the views of hearing individuals. I also show Complaints of a Dutiful Daughter about a woman whose mother is struggling with Alzheimer’s disease. The woman comes to realize that she must join her mother in her dementia rather than arguing with her about reality.

When my students write about these movies, predominantly, they write that the deaf people are “wrong”. It is hard for them to take the point of view of the “other”. When they write about the other movie, they tend to write that a relative, too, had dementia and describe an episode or an experience that they had. Neither response is exactly what I would hope for. Perhaps pausing at certain key points and saying “RLM” would help the students to find the deeper meaning in both videos. I’m going to try this, too, and let you know how it goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment